National Night Out was created in 1984 by the National Association of Town Watch in the United States and Canada. Since its founding, the event has grown from 2.5M participants in 400 communities to more than 38M in over 20,000 communities. The purpose of National Night Out is to build neighborhood relationships and promote police-community partnerships.
Most NNO events I have been to in Richmond usually involve food, music, and dancing. Public servants such as police and firefighters will be out milling around. Sometimes GRTC does stops. Last year, I even watched Joe Morrissey dance to Blurred Lines by Robin Thick (still not sure what to make of that).
There is a National Night Out KICK OFF event on Saturday July 29th from 10AM-2PM at the Forest Hill Ave Target (7107 Forest Hill Ave) with Richmond Police who will be on hand with crime prevention materials, activities, and more.
- 6 Point Innovation Center at 3007 Meadowbridge Ave from 5-8PM
- South Barton Heights Community Association at Yancey Street Playground 1900 North Ave from 6-830PM
- Frederic Fay Towers Advisory Council at 1202 N. 1st Ave from 4-8PM
- Grayland Baptist Church at 2301 Third Ave from 6-8PM
- Gilpin Tenant Council at 1000 St. John St/100-300 block of Federal from 4-730PM
- 1611 4th Ave Advisory Council at 1611 4th Ave at 6PM
- Dunn Ave Group at 2700 block of Dunn Ave from 630-830PM
- A Better Day than Yesterday Initiative Program at 1306 E Brookland Park Boulevard from 6-9PM
- Neighborhood Housing Services of Richmond at 900 W. Brookland Park Blvd (Pollard Park) from 4-10PM
- Old Brook Resident Advisory Council at 3900 Old Brook Circle from 6-10PM
- Bellevue Merchants Association at 4000 MacArthur Ave from 6-8PM
- Battery Park Civic Association at Battery Park from 6-8PM
- Carver Area Civic Improvement League (CACIL) at 914 Catherine St/Smith Peters Park from 630-830PM
- Ginter Park (3500 block of Brook and 3500-3600 block of Seminary) at 3503 Seminary Ave from 6-8PM
- Washington Park Civic Association at 3909 Moss Side Ave from 6-8PM
- Ginter Park/Hawthorne Ave at 3815 Hawthorne Ave from 6-8PM
- North Central Civic Association at North Central Park- Ladies Mile between Fendall and Hanes from 5-8PM
- Edge of Knights at 3717 Edgewood Ave at 6PM
- Highland Park-Southern Tip at 1910 4th Ave unit 1